A very rear and unique watch and a unique story about Packard Cars.
Title inner back case: HAMMILTON WATCH COMPAGNY, LANCASTER, PA., Hadsworth, 14K. GOLD H 340174. Title back case: PRESENTED TO, HENRY A. BENSON, IN APPRECIATION OF TEN YEARS’
LOYALTY. TO EARLE C. ANTHONY, Inc. AND THE PACKARD MOTOR CAR COMPAGNY 1939. At movement: HAMILTON U.S.A., 917, 17 JEWELS, 3 POSITIONS, Movement no: X54464, Title at dials: ASK THE MAN WHO OWNS ONE. (At Packard car cooler front) PACKARD Motor Car Company:
The Packard began its life in the early 1890's when Ward Packard first got the idea to build a motor car. In 1903 the Packard Motor Car Company was formed.
By 1909 Packard was one of the major automobile manufactures in America.
Also by 1909 James Ward Packard was ready to retire and turn the presidency over to Henry Joy who had joined Packard in 1901 Under his direction the Packard company had grown to 6000 employees and their factory covered 33 acres of floor
space. They continued to build high quality expensive cars.
By 1925 Packard was the indisputable leader in the field of prestige automobiles.
The depression of the 1930's hurt Packard. By 1934 their production
had dropped to below 7000 units per year from a high of more then 50,000 in 1928. Big multi cylinder cars were just not selling.
It was during this period that Packard decided to build a lower priced automobile and the 120 series was
brought out. This move saved Packard for another 20 years.
The Packard 120, named for its 120 inch wheel base was announced in 1935.
In 1939 Packard stopped production of its V 12 engine and would never again
regain the prestige it once had.
Earle C. Anthony
Earle C. Anthony (December 18, 1880 – August 6, 1961) was a pioneer businessman based in Los
Angeles, California. He is primarily known for his achievements in two fields: Broadcasting and automobiles. He was also a songwriter, journalist and playwright.
At age 17,
he built an electric automobile of his own design, the first to run in Los Angeles. It's 0.5 HP dynamo motor was also developed by Anthony. A replica of this car, made
in the 1920s with parts of the original automobile, is exhibited in the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.
In 1923 he was founder and owner
of what eventually became 50,000 watt KFI AM (640) radio, a station he controlled until his death in 1961. From 1929 to 1944, he also owned KECA-AM 790, now KABC.
He was an early president of the National Association of Broadcasters and during his term oversaw the establishment of the organization's first paid staff. He also was a founder of one of the earliest television stations in Los Angeles, KFI-TV, channel 9 and
KFI-FM, both of which were disposed of in 1951.
From 1915 to 1958 he was the Packard distributor for all of California (one out of every seven Packards ever sold were through the Anthony
organization). He was also instrumental in developing the concept of the gasoline service station (the Chevron was the trademark of the National Supply Co., a service station chain Anthony headed in concert with several other auto dealers and sold to the Standard
Oil Company of California in 1913.) He was also a pioneer in inter-urban bus transportation, founding a company later incorporated into Pacific Greyhound lines and had a role in the development of car radios.
He was active in many civic activities.
He helped save the Hollywood Bowl by assuming leadership of the Symphony
Under Stars Foundation in the early 1930s. He donated resources for a wind resistant cross to replace others that had previously been blown over in the Coachella Valley
He had a major supporting role in helping bring major league baseball to Los Angeles. This resulted in the Los Angeles Dodger games
being carried on KFI and Dodger owner Walter O'Malley becoming a board member of Earle C. Anthony, Inc., according to his biographer, Arthur Landing.
Anthony is also credited with having founded the Los
Angeles Auto Show, introducing neon signs to Southern California from France, and personally building the first automobile
ever constructed in Los Angeles (later rebuilt and now in the possession of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles).
His house in the Los
Feliz area of Los Angeles was designed by Bernard Maybeck and was
later bequeathed by a subsequent owner to the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. It is currently run by this order and is now known as the Cardinal Timothy Manning House of Prayer for
Priests and the Immaculate Heart Retreat House.
The former Anthony Estate, to which the Sisters have made major additions, offers a place of peace from the surrounding hustle and bustle. It is an urban sanctuary available to individuals or groups
for a few hours or a day for reflection and prayer. A chapel, dining room and conference rooms are available.
The core building was designed by Maybeck in the style of a medieval renaissance castle. The basic Norman-French and Spanish structure also
exhibits Greco-Roman and Moorish influences. After the death of Anthony's wife the home was purchased in the early fifties by Sir Daniel J. and Countess Bernardine Murphy Donohue. The mansion was donated to the Immaculate Heart Sisters in 1971 upon the death
of the Countess.
The interior of the Nordic entrance tower was furnished by Donohue as a replica of the prayer room of the Holy Father at the Vatican in Rome (Anthony was a lifelong Episcopalian). Many internationally distinguished visitors were entertained
in the mansion and its eight and one half acre environs.
Anthony's only son, Kelly Anthony, was disabled in a tragic WW2 mishap and died months after the demise of his famous father. Anthony's fortune went to a trust primarily benefiting the California
Institute of Technology and the University of California (the latter of which was Anthony's alma mater). Some of Anthony's employees and friends also received pensions from the trust for the rest of their lives.